Monday, March 30, 2009

That's it

First Place - Total Achievement (Gold Division)
First Place - District Service Initiative Award
First Place - Single Service Award
First Place - Mei Po Wong Overall Service Award (Gold Division)
First Place - Outstanding Interclub Award
Frank Bliss - Kiwanian of the Year
Second Place - Outstanding Non-traditional Scrapbook
Second Place - Outstanding Club Website
Second Place - Outstanding Club Newsletter
Petey - Most Funds Raised for PTP
Moolah - Most Funds Raised for all DFIs 
Second Place - Talent Act
Vijay Suzuki - Third Place Oratory Contest
Growth Enhances Membership Award (Diamond Division)
100% On-time MRFs
Distinguished Kiwanis Family Award
Distinguished MD&E Award
Virginia Liu - Distinguished Club Treasurer
Kathleen Wong - Distinguished Club Secretary
Josh Lomeli - Distinguished Vice President
Joe Lee - Distinguished Vice President
James Lee - Distinguished President
Gail Nipitnorasate - William A. Dunlap Fellowship
Alex Chu - William A. Dunlap Fellowship
James Lee - Carthage Pullman Award
Distinguished Club Award
Golden Gate - Divisional Unity Award
Most Members In Attendance
Most Miles Traveled

Wow. That's it. The year has passed just as quickly as it came. 

I'm still not sure what happened this year. I don't know if the stars were aligned or if magic was in the air but this year has far exceeded my expectations. 

I remember starting my term last March, terrified of how the year was going to go. I had confidence in myself and my board, but I knew there are always factors out of our control. Was anybody going to come? Will our members be dedicated? Will we have the resources to lead a great club? 

Things did not always go smoothly. For me, personally, there were many challenges. I had to learn to communicate and open up. I sacrificed for the club and I came to understand what it meant to "do the right thing". I learned it wasn't always black and white and that sometimes there's more than one right answer. 

Now, at the end of the line, I have no regrets about the path I took. For me, the most rewarding aspect of District Convention was seeing the joy in my board and my members.

I am proud of Darrell for winning single service. I wanted him to win it for the members who selflessly sacrificed so much for the children that may not have always shown their appreciation.

I am proud of Andrea, Mimi, and Vijay. What their awards didn't capture was the true value of their projects. The point of Scrapbook, Newsletter, and Website isn't to be the best. These committees gave members the opportunity to work together toward a common goal. It gave them the chance to bond and feel like they were part of something special, like they were members of a close-knit team. In this sense, they were invaluable to our success. 

I am proud of Monica. Often Kiwanis Family is one of the most underappreciated aspects of Circle K. I hope now the club realizes all that she has done to keep this club feeling like a real family.

I am proud of Joe. Joe has dedicated his life to Circle K and more than anything this year, I wanted to see him be happy. It brings me to tears to see him finally recognized.

I am proud of the rest of the board and every single member. This year is theirs. I am just grateful for having the honor of being a part of it.

















6 comments:

  1. umm.. you seem to have forgotten a certain Carthage Pullman winner

    which was awarded by the CAYP, nominated by the Governor, to someone who's individual work is not often recognized

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg this is my new favorite website.
    love love love.
    i am so happy and proud of you and your team and everything, james!!!! <3
    :D
    you are my freaking hero.
    i love reading your blogs so freaking much. i am going to comment on everything now kbye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on distinguished president, you are so awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really happy for y'all. I know how hard all of you work because I've been there, and it's just so frawesome to see all you guys succeed like this. I also think it's fun to say "HEY LOOK THERE MY FRIEND JUST WON THAT SHIT."

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwww james. i'm so freaking proud of you. thanks for that comment =) I FELT HONORED SLEEPING NEXT TO YOU TWO NIGHTS IN A ROW! hahaha

    ReplyDelete