Thursday, March 19, 2009

Working too hard








Have you ever been to an interview where the interviewer asks you, "what's your greatest weakness?" Well, you know what the answer is, right? 

"I work too hard."

Of course. The perfect line that answers the question while still patting yourself on the back. It all seems harmless enough until you realize it might actually be a weakness that you're suffering from. 

Taking zero period physics, picking up unnecessary double majors, doing the required reading, studying 2 more hours for a test you're already prepared for - these are all things I've been guilty of in my time as a student. 

Is working too hard a problem? I think as you get older and busier, it does become a problem. When I'm juggling 4 classes, working on a research project, and doing 20 things at once for Circle K, efficiency becomes a big deal. If I was still clinging on to every last point on every test or taking hard classes "just for fun", I think I would've fell into social isolation long ago. By saving myself a little work, I got to do more of the things that I enjoyed and I probably saved myself from a few white hairs and an early case of Alzheimer's.

1 comment: